Douglas Home & Co Limited takes the protection of your privacy very seriously. We will only use your personal information to deliver the services you have requested from us and to meet our legal responsibilities. This privacy statement explains how we collect and use personal information about you.
What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect from you will vary depending on the services you engage us to deliver. The data we collect and process may include:
• Personal details such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number and email address
• Family details such as the name of your spouse, partner or children
• Financial information, including financial statements, tax related documents, liabilities, revenues, earnings and investments
• National Insurance number and Unique Tax Reference (UTR)
• Employment details
• Details of our interactions with you and the services we provide to you
• Identifiers we assign to you such as your client reference number
In some cases, we may also process sensitive personal data such as:
• Physical or mental health details
• Racial or ethnic origin
• Religious or other beliefs
• Information relating to criminal convictions or offences
Where do we collect personal information from?
As well as the personal information we collect from you, data can come from a number of sources, including:
• Family members, business associates or your employer
• HM Revenue & Customs
• Personal documents obtained for Anti-Money Laundering purposes such as your passport, driving licence or utility bills
• Your previous accountant or professional advisers
• Financial organisations
How do we use your personal information?
Personal information is processed to enable us to provide accounting, auditing and related services. The purposes for which personal information is processed may include any or all of the following (the list is non-exhaustive):
• To deliver services and meet legal responsibilities
• To verify your identity where this is required
• To communicate with you by post, email or telephone
• To understand your needs and how they may be met
• To maintain records
• To process financial transactions
• To prevent and detect crime, fraud or corruption
All staff with access to your information have a duty of confidentiality under the ethical standards that we are required to follow.
Who do we share your personal information with?
In order to provide our services to you, it is sometimes necessary for us, with your prior approval, to share your personal information with other individuals and organisations such as:
• Business associates or professional advisers
• Family, associates and your representatives
• Local and central government
• Financial organisations
• Ombudsmen and regulatory authorities
• Credit reference and debt collection agencies
• Healthcare professionals, social and welfare organisations
• Examining bodies
• Service providers
How long do we retain your personal information for?
We are required by legislation, other regulatory requirements and our insurers to retain your data even after we have ceased to act for you. The period of retention required varies with the applicable legislation but is typically five or six years. To ensure compliance with all such requirements it is the policy of the firm to retain all data for a period of seven years from the end of the period concerned.
Holding personal information outside the EEA
Douglas Home & Co do not hold any personal data outside the EEA.
Using our website
Any personal or company details received via our website will only be used by us and we do not sell or otherwise give away your private information to any third party.
Access to your information – You have the right to request a copy of the personal information about you that we hold.
Correcting your information – We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
Deletion of your information – You have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:
• You consider that we no longer require the information for the purposes for which it was obtained.
• We are using that information with your consent and you have withdrawn your consent – see Withdrawing consent to using your information below.
• You have validly objected to our use of your personal information – see Objecting to how we may use your information below.
• Our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.
Objecting to how we may use your information – You have the right at any time to require us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes. In addition, where we use your personal information to perform tasks carried out in the public interest then, if you ask us to, we will stop using that personal information unless there are overriding legitimate grounds to continue.
Restricting how we may use your information – In some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information about you that we hold or assessing the validity of any objection you have made to our use of your information. The right might also apply where this is no longer a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data. Where this right to validly exercised, we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
Automated processing – If we use your personal information on an automated basis to make decisions which significantly affect you, you have the right to ask that the decision be reviewed by an individual to whom you may make representations and contest the decision. This right only applies where we use your information with your consent or as part of a contractual relationship with you.
Withdrawing consent using your information – Where we use your personal information with your consent you may withdraw that consent at any time and we will stop using your personal information for the purpose(s) for which consent was given.
Please contact us in any of the ways set out in the Contact information and further advice section if you wish to exercise any of these rights.
Changes to our privacy statement
We keep this privacy statement under regular review and will place any updates on our website (www.dhco.co.uk). Paper copies of the privacy statement may also be obtained from Douglas Home & Co Limited, 47-49 The Square, Kelso, TD5 7HW.
This privacy statement was last updated on 1 May 2018.
Contact information and further advice
For further information or advice, please contact our Data Protection Team.
Data Protection Team
Telephone – 01573 225082
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
We seek to resolve directly all complaints about how we handle personal information but you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, whose contact details are as follows:
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone - 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Website - https://ico.org.uk/concerns
"Douglas Home provide a proactive service which we would have no hesitation in recommending to other companies”
GORDON MCLINTOCK DOIG & SMITH LTD